Monday, September 26, 2005

Theology

I was asked to write this post over a week ago, and it was something I had intended to write from the very day I created this blog. Why then, has this been the most difficult post I've written yet? Perhaps because I am very aware of how much of me it will reveal, and how vulnerable I'm leaving myself to judgment and scorn. I don't relish being thought wrong, or silly, or stupid, and all of those are likely depending on who is doing the reading.

Those who know me well know that while I may occasionally hop up on my soapbox about little things like getting drunk and smoking, I keep the big things like politics and religion to myself unless I feel safe in the presence of a like-minded person. I have a strong dislike for debate, because in my experience, the debating parties have completely closed their minds to anything their opponent has to say before it is even said. I don't see the point in getting myself all worked up trying to convince someone of something they will never accept. On the other hand, if someone asks my opinion merely because they are curious, and have no intention of arguing with me about it, I don't mind giving it.

I have always made a conscious effort to keep an open mind and to listen without judging when someone expresses an opinion or a belief that is new to me. I'll listen, then I'll explore the possibility myself, whether through research, or in my head as I go about my day, or in my heart during quiet times. If it doesn't feel right to me, then I'll reject it, but I won't reject the possibility that it's still right for someone else. It's just not right for me.

**********
After three unsatisfactory attempts to put my myriad beliefs into writing, I've decided to try to classify and organize them in a series of posts, mostly to avoid having one post give the appearance of a long, randomly written novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home